MailChimp is a great email marketing software that allows you to do a lot of email marketing for your personal blog or business website. There are a number of great WordPress plugins that allow you to extend MailChimp into WordPress.
Today i wanted to talk about how you can go about integrating MailChimp into your WordPress website but before we get started there is one thing that you will need to do other than signing up for a MailChimp account in order to use MailChimp plugins on your WordPress website. You will need to create a list in your MailChimp account first and once you’ve created a list in your MailChimp account you will generate an API Key which most plug-ins developed for use with WordPress require to interface with MailChimp. In order to generate the API Key in MailChimp just do the following when you are logged into your MailChimp account…
Once you click on “API Keys & Info” you will see the following information needed to generate the key…
Now we can get to the “fun” part where we integrate it with one of the many MailChimp plugins available for WordPress today. For the purposes of this article I’ve decided to use the MailChimp Widget plugin for WordPress because its one of the best that i’ve been able to find to date and its easy to use.
Now assuming you’ve taken the steps above to find your MailChimp API key, these next steps should be fairly easy to complete and get MailChimp working on your WordPress website.
1. When you login into your WordPress website go to the heading labelled “Plugins”
2. Click on the “Add New” button by the heading “Manage Plugins”
3. Next, search for the term “MailChimp Widget” created by “James Lafferty”
4. Lastly, activate the plugin and install it and then go to “Settings” on the left side navigation menu of your WordPress Dashboard and click on “MailChimp Widget” where you will insert the MailChimp API key that you collected in the previous steps in MailChimp. The screen view for the API key should look similar to the following…
This wraps up the activation and installation portion of this article. Now its time for the fun stuff, implementing the MailChimp Widget on your WordPress website.
1. The first thing that you are going to do after activating and installing the plugin is go to “Widgets” under the “Appearance” tab on your left side navigation menu in WordPress.
2. Next drag and drop the “MailChimp Widget” into the “Sidebar” area.
3. Configure the settings of this widget by clicking the “expand” arrow and find the MailChimp email list you want to use with this Widget and select it and click “Save”. The MailChimp Widget once you’ve dragged and dropped into the sidebar area will look similar to the screenshot below.
4. Finally you should see the newly created widget on your WordPress site ready to collect people’s email addresses