OneStepCheckout is a great addition if you are running an ecommerce site using Magento. What this plugin does is take the standard mulit-step checkout and allow you to reduce it to a single step. Why would you want to do that? Simple! It’s because you want to increase the conversion rate of the checkout process on your ecommerce website. This product review is going to discuss the nitty gritty details of this plugin including the costs and the pros and cons using OneStepCheckout on your ecommerce website.
A few facts worth talking about regarding OneStepCheckout
- OneStepCheckout currently runs on over 3000 Magento websites. (As of April 2011)
- Lots of documentation and guides to help you better use this plugin in your business
- Over one billion dollars worth of transactions annually have been processed through OneStepCheckout
- This plugin is only used on Magento websites
Let’s talk about some of the pros and cons of using OneStepCheckout on your ecommerce website.
Pros of using OneStepCheckout
- Optimizing a 6 Step Checkout Process - This is the biggest selling points as to why people buy this plugin. The thought is that if you decrease the number of steps in a checkout you will in turn increase the number of sales on your ecommerce website. The value proposition offered here is something that many online business owners want, spend hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars trying to implement and offers it in an easy to implement manner.
- Easy to Customize User Interface - A lot of ecommerce software out there today is still difficult for the average user to customize once its installed without a web developer or being a web developer. There are a number of customization options that you can set yourself in OneStepCheckout’s user interface allowing you the ability to get your one page checkout looking the way you want it looking.
- 3 Versions to Suite your Needs – There are currently 3 versions of OneStepCheck all with different price points and depending on what version of Magento Commerce runs your ecommerce website there is a version that you can install.
Cons of using OneStepCheckout
- Only Magento-friendly – Even though OneStepCheckout is such a great addition to your ecommerce website just remember that its only available for use with Magento Commerce.
- The Price - This add-on for your Magento ecommerce website is not for the faint of heart. Sure its got a lot of features and functionality but it comes at a price. With a base cost of 245 Euros this is definitely not an easy cost to swallow but just remmeber the saying “You get what you pay for” because it applies here.
Case Study: How OneStepCheckout Increases the Conversion Rate on an Ecommerce Website
I figured that you would want to the proof behind implementing OneStepCheckout on your ecommerce website. The site that conducted this case study is http://www.thecorkscrew.ie/ and they conducted this case study to figure out how OneStepCheckout increased the conversion rate on their website.
Using the Traditional Magento Commerce Checkout Process
After implementing OneStepCheckout
As you can see the increase in people checking out of the website went from 16% to 43%. That’s a great increase in conversions for any website. Feel free to read the more about this case study by clicking here.
How much does OneStepCheckout cost?
There are 3 types of OneStepCheckout including Standard, Professional and Enterprise that OneStepCheckout offers which also coincide with the different editions of Magento Commerce.
- The Standard edition is used for smaller Magento stores, you can only use it on a single domain and it comes with free upgrades for 6 months after you purchase it. This edition sells for 245 Euros. Click here to check it out!
- The Professional edition is primarily used on Magento stores that run Magento Professional or Enterprise version, it supports all features of both of these Magento version and again it can only be used on a single domain and comes with the same 6 months of free upgrades. This version sells for 345 Euros. Click here to read more about it!
- The Enterprise edition is targetted at customer that need to use OneStepCheckout on multiple domains and have high demands for support. This version covers all versions of Magento and offers lifetime support and upgrades! Click here to read all about it!